Tuesday, April 04, 2006

73-57: Rompin' Stompin' Gators!

Hats off to Billy Donovan, Joakim Noah, and the Florida Gators. Last night, the Gators dominated legendary UCLA to win their first NCAA championship (10 years after Spurrier led Florida to their first football title). As a boy, I can remember cheering on the Gators in March but always having to say, 'wait 'til next year.' Now, the waiting is over. Florida is on top.

In a bracket-defying month, the Gators demonstrated why March is the most glorious month for sports lovers. While nobody picked the Gators to win, Florida fans can proudly celebrate this victory. There is no question who the best team is this year. Not Duke. Not Kansas. Not Connecticut. Not UCLA. But Florida. How 'bout those Gators!

It's times like these that I miss home. College basketball is not a priority here. So I've had to settle on reading the headlines. However, my dad is sending me a DVD of the game. I can hardly wait. Nevertheless, a victory is a victory. And though this Gator fan could not watch the game, he is still proud of his team. Go Gators!

No comments: